Sara Ali Khan Pataudi born 12 August 1995) is an Indian actress who works in Hindi films. Born into the Pataudi family, she is the daughter of actors Amrita Singh and Saif Ali Khan. After graduating with a degree in history and political science from Columbia University, Khan made her acting debut in 2018 with the romantic drama Kedarnath and the action comedy Simmba. Both films were commercially successful, and the former earned her the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
Khan appeared in Forbes India’s Celebrity 100 list of 2019. Following two poorly received films, she starred in the drama Atrangi Re (2021).
Early life and background
Sara Ali Khan was born on 12 August 1995 in Bombay, Maharashtra, India to Saif Ali Khan, son of Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi and Sharmila Tagore, and Amrita Singh, daughter of Sardar Shivinder Singh Virk and socialite Rukhsana Sultana; both actors of the Hindi film industry. She is also the great-granddaughter of Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi and Sajida Sultan, and the niece of Soha Ali Khan and Saba Ali Khan. She has a younger brother, Ibrahim. Her two half brothers Taimur (born 2016) and Jehangir (born 2021), are Saif’s sons from his second marriage to Kareena Kapoor. Sara Ali Khan is of Barech Pashtun Afghan, Bengali Hindu, and Assamese Muslim descent on her father’s side, and of Punjabi Sikh and Punjabi Muslim descent on her mother’s side. Sara was raised as a Muslim.
Khan (left) and Alia Bhatt in 2006
When Khan was a four-year-old, she acted in an advertisement. According to Saif, actress Aishwarya Rai proved to be her inspiration for pursuing a career in film after she saw her perform on stage in Chicago. In 2004, when Khan was nine, her parents divorced, and Singh was granted legal guardianship of her children. Saif was initially not allowed to see her or her brother; they have since reconciled, and, according to Saif, “are more like friends [than father and daughter]”. Khan also shares a healthy relationship with Kapoor, her step-mother; she stated in 2018, “I would like to imbibe her professionalism in me”.
As a teenager, Khan struggled with her weight, and had to undergo daily workouts under a strict schedule to get fit.[ She was also diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, which she ascribes as a cause for her weight gain. Khan studied history and political science at Columbia University in New York. In 2016, she completed her graduation early, within three years, and took off the remaining one-and-a-half years for weight training, following which she returned to India.
|Nickname(s)||Som and Gol|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters– 161 cm|
in meters– 1.61 m
in feet inches– 5’ 3”
|Debut||Film: Kedarnath (2018)|
|Date of Birth||12 August 1995 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||27 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||• Besant Montessori School, Mumbai|
• Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai
|College/University||Columbia University, New York City, New York|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in History and Political Science|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Playing Tennis, Dancing|
|Controversies||• In 2019, a person asked her “If she ever felt like looking darker or going to the beach and getting a tan” while she appeared in the talk show of the famous Indian journalist, Barkha Dutt.|
To which she replied,
If you wanna be tan, just put on some bronzer, and if you wanna be fair, put on some powder. It’s not the end of the world, and it shouldn’t define you at all.”
She received huge criticism for passing a racist comment.
• In 2020, during the investigation of Late Sushant Singh Rajput’s mysterious death, Rhea Chakraborty was arrested by the NCB for her connection in drugs trading. During the further investigation, Rhea revealed the names of 25 Indian celebrities who were involved in drug trading including Sara Ali Khan.
|Relationships & More|
|Affair/Boyfriend||• Veer Pahariya (Sushil Kumar Shinde’s grandson) |
• Ishaan Khattar (Actor, Rumoured)
• Late Sushant Singh Rajput (Actor)
• Kartik Aaryan (Actor)
• Shubman Gill (cricketer) (rumoured)
|Parents||Father– Saif Ali Khan (Actor)|
Mother– Amrita Singh (Actress)
Stepmother– Kareena Kapoor Khan (Actress)
|Siblings||• Brother– Ibrahim Ali Khan (Born on 5 March 2001)|
• Half-brother– 2
Taimur Ali Khan (Born on 20 December 2016)
• On 21 February 2021, she welcomed her 2nd half-brother when Kareena Kapoor gave birth to her 2nd son at Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai.
|Actress||Sridevi, Aishwarya Rai, and Alia Bhatt|
|Destination(s)||Goa, London, New York, Dubai|
|Food||Pizza, Milk Cake, Hyderabadi Biryani, and Besan Ke Laddoo|
|Song(s)||‘Lag Jaa Gale,’ ‘Bahon Mein Chale Aao,’ and ‘Tune O Rangile Kaise Jadu Kia’|
|Makeup Product||Nail Paint|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 5.75 crores (as in 2019)|
Khan’s debut came in 2018 with Abhishek Kapoor’s romantic film Kedarnath, in which she played a Hindu girl who falls in love with a Muslim porter, played by Sushant Singh Rajput. In preparation for her role, Khan improved her knowledge of Hindi vocabulary with help from Rajput. Kedarnath received mixed reviews with praise directed to Khan’s performance. Kunal Guha of Mumbai Mirror found it to be a rehash of 1980s Hindi films but appreciated Khan’s act: “When her Mukku is angry, hopeful, desperate or coltish, she often conveys it through her eyes alone — giving us a taste of the diverse faces she can throw on.”Meena Iyer of Daily News and Analysis similarly labelled her “spectacular”. Kedarnath emerged as a commercial success with a gross of over 960 million Indian Rupees. Khan was awarded with the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut and the IIFA Award for Star Debut of the Year – Female.
Khan with co-star Ranveer Singh promoting Simmba
A few weeks after the release of Kedarnath, Khan starred in Rohit Shetty’s action film Simmba, alongside Ranveer Singh, which was loosely based on the Telugu-language film Temper (2015). She began work on it when filming of Kedarnath was temporarily suspended. This led to Abhishek Kapoor suing Khan; they later settled out of court when she agreed to split her time between both films. Reviewing the film for The Times of India, Ronak Kotecha opined that Khan had “precious little to do besides looking breathtakingly beautiful” and disliked the chemistry between her and Singh. With worldwide earnings of ₹4 billion (US$50 million), Simmba emerged as the third highest-grossing Hindi film of 2018.
In Imtiaz Ali’s romantic drama Love Aaj Kal (2020), a spiritual successor to Ali’s 2009 film of the same name, Khan starred as a young woman with a troubled past, opposite Kartik Aaryan. In a negative review of the film, Nandini Ramnath of Scroll.in bemoaned that Khan “simply doesn’t have the experience or the expertise” to play a complex character, adding that “having a camera shoved into her young face only enlarges her shortcomings”. It emerged as a box office bomb. In the same year, Khan starred opposite Varun Dhawan in the comedy film Coolie No. 1, an adaptation of David Dhawan’s 1995 film of the same name. The film had a strong viewership on Amazon Prime but it was unanimously panned by film critics. Khan was criticised for not adding any value to the film, with Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost opining that Khan does nothing more than fill the slot of “the hero’s love interest”.
In 2021, Khan featured as a woman with post-traumatic stress disorder in Aanand L. Rai’s drama Atrangi Re, co-starring Akshay Kumar and Dhanush, which premiered on Disney+ Hotstar after multiple delays due to the nationwide lockdown due to the pandemic. The film received mixed reviews from critics. Monika Rawal Kukreja of Hindustan Times called her the “soul” of the film and praised her acting range and her Bihari accent. Conversely, in his review for Mint, Uday Bhatia criticised her “grating Bihari accent”.
Khan will next star in Laxman Utekar’s as-yet untitled next opposite Vicky Kaushal, and in Gaslight alongside Vikrant Massey. She will also portray freedom fighter Usha Mehta in the biopic Ae Watan Mere Watan, which will stream on Amazon Prime Video.
Some Known Facts About Sara Ali Khan
- Does Sara Ali Khan smoke?: Yes
- Does Sara Ali Khan drink alcohol?: Yes
- Sara Ali Khan is a popular Indian actress.
- Her grandfather, Late Mansoor Ali Khan was a Pataudi, who was a famous Indian cricketer. Her grandmother, Sharmila Tagore, is a veteran Indian actress and was born in a Bengali family.An Old Picture of Sara Ali Khan With Her Grandmother
- She is Pashtun from her father’s side and Punjabi from her mother’s side.
- The famous Indian socialite, Rukhsana Sultan is her maternal grandmother. Her maternal grandfather’s name is Shivinder Singh Virk.
- She was senior to Bollywood actress, Ananya Pandey in school.Sara Ali Khan and Ananya Panday
- She used to live at 110 Broadway, New York City while she was studying at the Columbia University.
- While she was in college, Sara, along with her mother Amrita Singh, were featured on the cover of ‘Hello’ magazine. She then started getting film offers, but her parents asked her to continue her studies.Sara Ali Khan Featured on Hello Magazine With Amrita Singh
- In 2004, her parents got divorced, and Sara and her brother, Ibrahim stayed with their mother. She talked about her parents’ divorce in an interview, she said
I was more than okay with that arrangement. I think having two happy parents in different homes is much more preferable than two unhappy parents in the same home. I think I am the way that I am because my mother didn’t let me feel any kind deprivation for even a second. I have a very hands-on mother. Once my brother and I were born, she did nothing but look after us.”
- Reportedly, she was supposed to make her Bollywood debut with Shahid Kapoor‘s brother, Ishaan Khattar in the Bollywood film, ‘Student of The Year 2,’ but the film got delayed and was released in 2019.
- Post the release of her debut film, ‘Kedarnath’ (2018), she talked about her co-star, Sushant Singh Rajput, she said,
I am so glad that you asked me that. I have no idea how I have done this film. I have tried my best but I feel I couldn’t have done any of it without Sushant. He has just been the most helpful person I have had. There were days when I was lost and scared as it’s the first time I am facing the camera but he has been hands on. Sushant also helped me improve my Hindi and whatever little I speak, he has taught me. He has helped me a lot.”
- She has acted in many popular Hindi films, like ‘Simmba’ (2018), ‘Love Aaj Kal 2’ (2020), ‘Coolie No. 1’ (2020), and ‘Atrangi Re’ (2021).
- Earlier, Sara used to be overweight and was suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) due to which she had to work hard to loose excessive body weight. She followed a healthy diet and worked out in the gym regularly to get back in shape. While she appeared in one of the episodes of Indian Idol, she said,
I am a big fan of Neha Kakkar as she is a great singer, I really love her songs. It’s a fan moment for me. I was so excited before coming on Indian Idol 10 to meet Neha. I have been listening to her songs for a long time. Her songs actually helped me to lose weight. I used to run on the treadmill listening to some of her hit songs on repeat mode.”
- Sara shares a good bond with her stepmother, Kareena Kapoor Khan, and she often goes out for shopping with her While talking about Kareena Kapoor, she said in an interview,
Everyone has been clear about their dynamics with me. It has never been confusing. Kareena herself says that ‘look you have a mother and a great one and what I want is for us to be able to be friends.’ My father also never said ‘this is your second mother’ or made it any way uncomfortable. My mom dressed me for my father’s wedding. A lot of people would be of the opinion that Kareena was being weird or mom was being weird. It was very comfortable. Everyone was so mature. It was not a big deal.”
- In 2018, she appeared in the popular talk show, ‘Koffee with Karan’ along with her father. During the show, she said that she had a crush on Kartik Aaryan. Reportedly, the Bollywood actor, Ranveer Singh played a cupid for Sara and Kartik, and it is said that they both parted ways after the release of their Bollywood film, ‘Love Aaj Kal 2’ (2020).Sara Ali Khan With Kartik Aaryan and Ranveer Singh
- In her leisure time, she plays tennis with her father and brother.
- While talking to a reporter, Saif Ali Khan said that Sara was inspired by the Bollywood actress, Aishwarya Rai to act in films, he said,
I have seen her do a very funny advert when she was four and she’s been like this all along. There was actress Aishwarya Rai on stage in New York with people going ballistic and Sara sitting on the floor behind the curtain saying, ‘This is what I want to do.”
- She has featured on the cover of various magazines and has walked the ramp for ace Indian fashion designers.Sara Ali Khan Featured in GQ Magazine
- In an interview, she said that she was impressed by Kareena Kapoor Khan’s role as Poo in the film ‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham’ (2001).
- She has won many awards for her debut film, ‘Kedarnath’ (2018); as the best debut female.Sara Ali Khan With Her Mother and Holding Her Award
- Interestingly, the age gap between Sara Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan is approximately equal to the age gap between Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan.
- She is an avid dog lover and has a pet dog, Fuffy.Sara Ali Khan’s Pet Dog
- As a brand ambassador, Sara has endorsed various brands like Fanta, Puma, and Veet.