Dalip Singh Rana (born 27 August 1972), better known by the ring name The Great Khali, is an Indian-born American professional wrestler, promoter, model, and actor who is best known for his work in WWE. He is also the first Indian to win the World Heavyweight Championship in WWE history.
A professional wrestler since 2000, Rana was most notably associated with WWE from 2006 to 2014 where he performed under the name of “The Great Khali”. Before embarking on his professional wrestling career, he was an officer for the Punjab Police. He has appeared in four Hollywood films, two Bollywood films and several television shows.
Rana was born to Jwala Ram and his wife Tandi Devi in a Punjabi Hindu family of the Dhiraina village of Himachal Pradesh’s Sirmaur district.
Being one of the seven siblings of a poor family, he had to do odd jobs to make ends meet and suffer from acromegaly, which among other effects causes gigantism and chin protrusion. When Rana was serving as a security guard in Shimla, he caught the eye of a police officer from the neighboring State of Punjab that—having previously helped several employees of Punjab Police to become international sportspersons—got him inducted into the Punjab Police in 1993, and (though Rana was reluctant to leave Himachal Pradesh, his brother was also offered a job in the Punjab Police) once he landed in Punjab’s Jalandhar, Rana trained in the local gyms to become a wrestler and soon he got selected for specialized wrestling training in the United States.
Rana is a Hindu and has been described as “extremely religious”. He meditates every day and “abhors” alcohol and tobacco. He was a disciple of Indian spiritual guru Ashutosh Maharaj.
Rana suggested the ring name The Great Khali after the Hindu goddess Kali, who is associated with eternal energy.
Rana’s training schedule consists of two hours of weight training, morning and evening, every day, but his diet is unclear, as in some interviews it was claimed he maintains his size on a vegetarian diet and in other interviews it was claimed he consumes vast quantities of chicken. He has since clarified that he loves vegetarian food, but also consumes meat.
On 26 July 2012, it was reported that Rana underwent brain surgery due to a tumor on his pituitary gland.
Rana became a naturalized U.S. citizen on 20 February 2014.
The Great Khali Wiki Wife Family Age Net Worth
|Real Name||Dalip Singh Rana|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 216 cm
in meters- 2.16 m
in Feet Inches- 7’ 1”
|Weight||in Kilograms- 157 kg
in Pounds- 347 lbs
|Body Measurements||– Chest: 63 Inches
– Waist: 46 Inches
– Biceps: 25 Inches
|WWE Debut||7 April 2006|
|Likes to fight against||The Undertaker and The Big Show|
|Slam/Finishing move||The Khali Vice Grip or Brain Chop
|Records (main ones)||In 2006, he became the 1st Indian professional wrestler to sign a World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) contract.|
|Career Turning Point||When he won the Mr. India bodybuilding title in 1995 and 1996.|
|Date of Birth||27 August 1972|
|Age (as in 2021)||49 Years|
|Birth Place||Dhiraina, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Virgo|
|Hometown||Dhiraina, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Educational Qualifications||Not Known|
|Family||Father– Jwala Ram
Mother– Tandi Devi
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Controversies||In 2016, he suffered head injuries during a promotional event in Haldwani, after 2 foreign wrestlers trashed him with chairs. After it, he was immediately taken to a local hospital where he had 7 stitches to his head.|
|Favorite Actor||Salman Khan|
|Girls, Family & More|
Some lesser-known facts about The Great Khali
- Does The Great Khali smoke?: No
- Does The Great Khali drink alcohol?: No
- Khali hails from Himachal Pradesh, and it is said that he got his ring name The Great Khali from the name of Kali, a Hindu Goddess.
- The reason behind his lack of agility and height is that he suffered from Acromegaly i.e. abnormal growth of the body.
- He started earning as a laborer and also worked in a restaurant called Malibar Hill.
- Later, he became an officer in the Punjab Police through sports quota and alongside this job, he continued his bodybuilding.
- His fortune changed when he won the Mr. India bodybuilding title in 1995 and 1996.
- Due to his training and hard work, he got selected for the All Pro Wrestling (APW) in the USA and made his debut in October 2000.
- He initially wrestled for World Championship Wrestling (WCW), but in 2006, he made his debut for the apex professional wrestling, the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).
- In 2010, he participated in the reality show Bigg Boss 4, and finished as the 1st runner-up.
- He also appeared in various films like The Longest Yard, Get Smart, MacGruber, Kushti, Ramaa: The Saviour and Houba.
- He is extremely religious, he meditates every day, doesn’t drink or smoke, and is a follower of Indian spiritual guru Ashutosh Maharaj.
- He has a heavy diet and consumes 5 l of milk, 2-3 kg of chicken, 0.5-1 kg of dry fruits, 25-30 roti, pulses, vegetables and 25 eggs at a time, 7 times a day.
- In 2015, he left WWE and opened his own wrestling school in Punjab, the Continental Wrestling Entertainment.
|2005||The Longest Yard||Turley|
|2010||Ramaa: The Saviour||Vali|
|2012||HOUBA! On the Trail of the Marsupilami||Bolo|
|2010||Bigg Boss||Himself||Season 4 runner-up|
|2011||Outsourced||Fantasy Rajiv||Season 1, episode 18|
|2012||Pair of Kings||Atog the Giant||Episode: “Fight School”|