Born on February 2, 1977, Shakira is one of the world’s most well-known singers along with being a dancer, record producer and model. After starting her musical career with performances in school, Shakira entered in the music industry during early 1990’s with her debut albums Magia and Peligro, both of which failed to gain any major commercial success. But the initial failure didn’t stopped her from achieving her dream and she soon found success with her 3rd and fourth albums Pies Descalzos and Dónde Están los Ladrones? respectively. She then entered in English-language market and gaining huge success immediately with her overall fifth album Laundry Service.
Since then, Shakira has gone on to release a couple of more albums, all of which have earned critical and commercial success. Named among one of the best-selling artists of all time, Shakira has won several awards for her fabulous work so far including two Grammy Awards, five MTV Video Awards and eight Latin Grammy Awards along with many more. In her personal life, The Colombian singer dated Argentinean lawyer Antonio de la Rua from 2000 to 2011 and now has been in a relationship with Spanish footballer Gerard Pique since 2010 and the couple has one child together.
Shakira Measurements Height Weight Bra Size Age
|Real Name||Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll|
|Profession||Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Dancer, Philanthropist Entrepreneur|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 157 cm
in meters- 1.57m
in Feet-Inches- 5’ 2”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 65 kg
in Pounds- 183 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Brown (Dyed blonde)|
|Date of Birth||February 2, 1977|
|Age ( 2018 )||41 Years|
|Birth Place||Barranquilla, Atlántico, Colombia|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Acquarius|
|School||La Ensenanza School, Barranquilla.|
|College/University||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Educational Qualifications||University drop-out|
|Debut||Latin -American Album: Magia (1991)
English Album: Laundry Service
Film – El Oasis (1996)
|Family||Father– William Mebarak Chadid
Mother– Nidia del Carmen Ripoll Torrado
Step-Brothers– Tonino Mebarak, Edward Mebarak, Robin Mebarak,
Alberto Mebarak, Antonio Mebarak and Moises Mebarak
Step-Sisters– Lucy Mebarak, Ana Mebarak and Patricia Mebarak
|Children||Milan Piqué Mebarak|
|Ethnicity||Italian, Spanish and Labenese|
|Inspirational Artists||John Lennon and Gloria Estefan|
|Fan Mail Address||Shakira
New York, NY 10018-3410
|Hobbies||Skateboarding, Frisbee, Paint fried eggs and Watch horror movies, Learning History and Languages, Golf, Tennis, Basketball and Swimming|
|Favorite TV shows||Scrubs (2001-2010), It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005)|
|Favorite Actor||Hugh Gran|
|Favorite Band||U2, The Police|
|Favorite Perfume||Issey Miyake Perfumes|
|Favorite Book||The Prophet (Khalil Gibran)|
|Favorite Writer||Oriana Fallaci|
|Favorite Food||Pancakes with Jam|
|Favorite song||With or Without You (U2)|
Boys, Affairs and More
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Antonio De La Rúa (2000-2011)
Gerard Pique (2011-present)
|Current Relationship Status||In a relationship with Gerard Piqué|
|Net Worth||$220 million|
|House||Barcelona, Spain (USD 5.4 million)
La Colorado Farmhouse ($700,000)
The Star Island Home $3.4 million
|Car||Mercedes CLS, Porsche Carrera, BMW X6, Audi A7,
Rangerover, BMW X5
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shakira
- Does Shakira smoke? No
- Does Shakira drink alcohol? No
- Shakira can speak several languages. She is fluent with Spanish, English and Portuguese.
- Shakira loves dogs and has three named Coquito, Chan and Gordita.
- In 2002, Wherever, Whenever became the best-selling song. Also, her single Hips Don’t Lie is considered to be the best-selling song of this century.
- Shakira has had the honor of singing the 2010 FIFA World Cup official song “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)”. The music video crossed over billion views on YouTube and still is one of the most viewed videos.
- She has won two Grammys, 26 Latin-American Grammy Awards, five MTV Music Awards and has had a Golden Globe nomination too.
- Shakira also has Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- The first person to reach 100 million followers on Facebook was none other than Shakira.
- She was only four when she wrote her first poem.
- She wanted a typewriter for Christmas as she always watched her father writing stories on one. She got one when she was seven and has been writing poetry since then.
- She wrote the song “Dark Glasses” because her father always wore a pair of dark glasses hiding the grieving since her brother died in an accident when he was riding his motorcycle.
- She was inspired to be a performer when her father took her to a restaurant where a dancer was doing Belly-Dance to an Arabic drum beat.
- She was let off the school choir at the age of two because she had too strong of a vibrato. She used to perform Belly-Dance on a new number every Friday in School.
- Shakira shares her birthday with her partner Gerard Pique.
- Shakira was known as the “The Belly Dancing Girl” in her School, where she discovered her passion for performing live.
- Shakira found some recognition in her hometown by the time she was 13, when she used to be often invited to perform at different places. This is when Monica Ariza noticed her and talked to Sony Executives to crack her a deal.
- Sony Columbia signed her after watching her perform three songs.
- Sony gave her only $100,000 to record her album Pies Descalzos because they thought that it would not sell more than 100,000 copies. It sold itself well and sold 5 million copies.
- She is already immortalized by having a five meter statue built in her home city Columbia’s Caribbean Coast.
- Hips Don’t Lie was the number one single in 55 countries. It was also the maximum played song on the radio totaling to 9637 in a week.
- She was listed by Forbes the highest earning female artist of 2008.
- Shakira runs Pies Descalzos Foundation for helping poor children all around Columbia. Thanks to her father who used to take her to a park where orphans lived, to make her grateful for her life. Since then, she dreamed to help those kids after getting famous. She was also awarded Humanitarian Award in 2003 for the same cause.
- Her Fiance Antonio De La Rúa was son of the president of Argentina at the time.
- Her IQ is 140.
- Her grandmother was the one who taught her Belly Dancing.
- She loves Bollywood and its music.
- She has been awarded and honored with a medal International Labor Organization.
- Steven Spielberg wanted to cast Shakira before Catherine Zeta Jones in the movie The Mask of Zorro. She turned it down because she wasn’t confident enough with her English.