Rishi Raj Kapoor (4 September 1952 – 30 April 2020) was an Indian actor known for his work in Bollywood. Born into the Kapoor family, he made his debut, as an adolescent, in his father Raj Kapoor’s film Mera Naam Joker (1970), for which he won the National Film Award for Best Child Artist. As an adult, his first lead role was opposite Dimple Kapadia in the teen romance Bobby (1973), which won him the Filmfare Award for Best Actor. Kapoor is one of the most successful actors in the history of Bollywood.
Between 1973 and 2000, Kapoor starred as the romantic lead in 92 films. Some of his notable films during this period include Khel Khel Mein (1975), Kabhi Kabhie (1976), Sargam (1979), Karz (1980), and Chandni (1989). Since the 2000s, he played character roles to critical acclaim in such films as Do Dooni Chaar (2010), Aurangzeb (2013), and Mulk (2018). For his performance in Do Dooni Chaar (2010), he won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor, and for his role in Kapoor & Sons (2016), he won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor. He was honoured with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008. His final film appearance was in The Body (2019).
Kapoor often collaborated with his wife, actress Neetu Singh, with whom he had two children, including Ranbir Kapoor. He died of leukemia on 30 April 2020, aged 67.
Personal life and family
Family and early life
Rishi Raj Kapoor was born on 4 September 1952 at his family’s home in Matunga, Bombay, in the then Bombay State of India, into a Khatri Punjabi Hindu family. Being part of the Kapoor Bollywood dynasty, he was the second son of legendary actor-director Raj Kapoor and Krishna Raj Kapoor (née Malhotra). Likewise, his family encompasses a successful line of actors, including brothers, Randhir and Rajiv Kapoor; grandfather Prithviraj Kapoor; maternal uncles Prem, Rajendra, and Narendra Nath, as well as Prem Chopra; paternal uncles Shashi and Shammi Kapoor; and paternal once removed cousins Anil and Sanjay Kapoor. Rishi Kapoor’s two sisters, on the other hand, include late Ritu Nanda, who was an insurance agent, and Rima Jain. The Kapoor family also had an ancestral house by the name, Kapoor Haveli located in Peshawar, Pakistan.
Kapoor attended Campion School, Mumbai and Mayo College, Ajmer.
Kapoor married actress Neetu Singh, who he had worked with in several films, in 1980. The couple had two children— son, actor Ranbir Kapoor, and daughter, Riddhima Kapoor Sahni.
Kapoor’s autobiography Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored, was released on 15 January 2017. Kapoor wrote the book along with Meena Iyer, and the title was published under Harper Collins. Kapoor’s comments on being a “beef-eating Hindu” became controversial.
Kapoor was known to make controversial socio-political comments. In March 2016, he criticized the Nehru–Gandhi family over naming of roads, buildings and national assets in the name of Gandhi and Nehru. In September 2017, he again took on the Gandhi family by slamming Rahul Gandhi over dynastic politics. In March 2020, he expressed anger and criticized the Indian Judiciary with the “Tareekh Pe Tareekh” dialogue of his film Damini over the delay in execution of the four perpetrators who were convicted in the Nirbhaya case due to loopholes in the laws. The convicts were finally executed on 20th March at 5:30 am in Tihar Jail after it was deferred thrice.
Read More: Shahid Kapoor | Karisma Kapoor
Illness and death
Kapoor was diagnosed with leukemia in 2018 and went to New York City for treatment. After successful treatment for over a year, Kapoor returned to India on 26 September 2019. Kapoor was admitted to Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital in Girgaon, Mumbai on 29 April 2020 after he had some breathing difficulties. He died on 30 April 2020 from leukemia. His death came less than 24 hours after Irrfan Khan, another well-regarded actor and his co-star from D-Day, died of complications from colon infection. Bollywood personalities paid tributes online upon the news of his death.
Rishi Kapoor Biography Wiki Wife Family Age Net Worth
|Full Name||Rishi Raj Kapoor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 173 cm|
in meters– 1.73 m
in feet inches– 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 90 kg|
in pounds– 198 lbs
Note: In his mid-career, he put on lots of weight. Once, he took a dig on the obesity of the Kapoor family on his Twitter handle.
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film (Hindi): Mera Naam Joker (1970, as a child actor)|
Bobby (1973, as a lead)
Film (Director): Aa Ab Laut Chalen (1999)
|Last Film||The Body (2019); as “SP Jairaj Rawal”|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1970: Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards: Special Award, and National Film Award for Mera Naam Joker|
1974: Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Bobby
2008: Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
2009: Honoured by Russian Government for contribution to cinema
2010: Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Love Aaj Kal
2011: Zee Cine Awards: Best Lifetime Jodi along with Neetu Singh, Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for Do Dooni Chaar
2013: The Times of India Film Awards (TOIFA), Best Actor in a Negative Role for Agneepath
2016: Screen Lifetime Achievement Award
2017: Screen Award for Best Supporting Actor for Kapoor & Sons, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Kapoor & Sons, Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Male for Kapoor & Sons, Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role for Kapoor & Sons
|Date of Birth||4 September 1952 (Thursday)|
|Birthplace||Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Date of Death||30 April 2020 (Thursday); at 8:45 am|
|Place of Death||Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital, Mumbai|
|Age (at the time of death)||67 Years|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School(s)||• Mayo College, Ajmer (attended for less than a year)|
• Campion School, Mumbai
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualification||8th Fail|
|Address||Krishna Raj, 27, Pali Hill, Bandra (West), Mumbai|
|Controversies||• In 2015, his tweet about the fact that he is a beef-eating Hindu, created a controversy.|
• In 2016, after he had criticized Congress for naming public assets after the Gandhi dynasty, Congress supporters named a public toilet after Rishi Kapoor in response to his tweet.
• In 2016, Rishi had created problems at actress Asin and Rahul Sharma’s marriage. It was said that Rishi was annoyed with the loud music and the lighting at a party at the marriage venue. When things got out of hand, Rahul was forced to intervene. After this incident, the party lasted for only an hour and a half after Rishi left.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death||Married|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Yasmin (Actress)|
• Dimple Kapadia (Actress)
• Neetu Singh (Actress)
|Marriage Date||January 22, 1980|
|Wife/Spouse||Neetu Singh (Actress, m. 1980-present)|
|Children||Son– Ranbir Kapoor (Actor)|
Daughter– Riddhima Kapoor Sahani (Designer)
|Parents||Father– Late Raj Kapoor (Actor, Filmmaker)|
Mother– Krishna Kapoor (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brothers– Randhir Kapoor (Actor), Rajiv Kapoor (Actor)|
Sisters– Ritu Nanda, Rima Jain
|Nephew/Niece||Nephews- Nikhil Nanda, Aadar Jain, Armaan Jain|
Nieces- Kareena Kapoor, Karisma Kapoor, Natasha Nanda
|Food||Yakhni Pulao, Khatti Dal, Fish Fry, Paya|
|Beverage||Black Label whisky|
|Cars Collection||Audi R8, Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W222), Nissan X-Trail|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 375 Crore (£40 million) (at the time of death)|
Rishi Kapoor Interesting Facts
- Rishi Kapoor was born on Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India to Late Actor & Filmmaker, Raj Kapoor and Krishna Kapoor.
- He has two brothers named, Randhir Kapoor and Rajiv Kapoor, both actors and two sisters named Ritu Nanda and Rima Jain.
- Actress Kareena Kapoor, Karisma Kapoor & Natasha Nanda are his nieces.
- He is married to actress, Neetu Singh on 1980 and they have two children together.
- Rishi Kapoor started his acting career as a child artist with film ‘Mera Naam Joker’ (1970) and his lead role debut Hindi film ‘Bobby’ released in 1973.
- He has received many awards, honours and nominations like Filmfare Awards, Honoured by Rusian Government, Zee Cine Awards, Apsara, Awards, Screen Awards & many more.
- Rishi Kapoor considered as highest-paid Bollywood actors, with estimated net worth of Rs. 127 crore around $40 million.
- In 1999, He first directed the film ‘Aa Ab Laut Chalen’ starring Aishwarya Rai and Akshaye Khanna.
- Rishi Kapoor is very talented, most popular and commercial successful Bollywood Film Actor.
- 1970 – National Film Award for Mera Naam Joker; and Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards: Special Award
- 1974 – Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Bobby
- 2008 – Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2009 – Honoured by the Russian Government for contribution to cinema
- 2010 – Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Love Aaj Kal 2011 – Zee Cine Awards: Best Lifetime Jodi along with Neetu Singh
- 2011 – Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for Do Dooni Chaar
- 2013 – The Times of India Film Awards (TOIFA), Best Actor in a Negative Role for Agneepath
- 2017 – Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Kapoor & Sons
- 2017 – Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Male for Kapoor & Sons
- 2017 – Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role for Kapoor & Sons