The American actor and filmmaker, James Franco was born on April 19, 1978. After realizing that acting was his real passion, James dropped out of the university in order to pursue an acting career despite his parents’ disagreement to this choice. His debut came with a television commercial after which he landed a few TV series roles but received his big-break in 1999 with short-lived series “Freaks and Geeks”. Although after that, Franco turned his major attention towards films but still has made appearances in several TV shows till now such as General Hospital, Hollywood Height and The Mindy Project. While the big-screen debut of him came in 1999 with Never Been Kissed and since then, James Franco has gone on to star in a large number of movies so far including Spider-Man trilogy, James Dean, Spring Breakers, The Interview, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and 127 Hours. Along with acting, he has also directed and produced a number of films too. In addition to this, the actor also teaches about filmmaking and production at various educational institutes. As for his personal life, James Franco has remained in several relationships till now including with Marla Sokoloff, Ahna O’Reilly, Agyness Deyn, Ashley Benson and Kelly Baugher.
James Franco Biceps Size Height Weight Body Measurements
|Net Worth||$30 Million|
|Real Name||James Edward Franco|
|Famous Role||Spiderman Series
Never Been Kissed
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in Feet-Inches- 5’10”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg
in Pounds- 167.5 lbs
|Body Measurements||– Chest: 42 Inches
– Waist: 31 Inches
– Biceps: 14 Inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||April 19, 1978|
|Age (as in 2018)||40 Years|
|Birth Place||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aries|
|School||Palo Alto, California|
|College/University||University of California, Los Angeles (B.A.)
Columbia University (M.F.A.)
New York University (M.F.A.)
Brooklyn College (M.F.A.)
Warren Wilson College (M.F.A.)
Yale University (PhD student)
Rhode Island School of Design
|Debut||TV – Pacific Blue (1997)
Film – Never Been Kissed (1999)
|Family||Father– Douglas Eugene “Doug” Franco (Ran a Silicon Valley Business)
Mother– Betsy Lou (A writer and an occasional actress)
Brother– Tom (Artist)
Brother– Dave (Davy, an Actor)
|Religion||When asked if he’s a believer, he said- “In God? I don’t know. Yes. To a certain extent. It’s a complicated question”.|
|Ethnicity||Portuguese, Swedish, Jewish|
|Fan Mail Address||James Franco
William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
9601 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-5213
|Major Controversies||He was confused as a closeted homosexual because of supporting LGBT and for the choice of his roles. On being asked if he is gay, he said he finds a lot of other dimensions in the characters instead of their bedroom preferences.
Later on, he said being gay is not even about who you “do” but about the way you behave. In the old times, sailors had sex with guys but were not called gay if they behaved in a masculine manner.
He said he is straight in real life and it’s sad the way people are accusing him of being “The Gay Rapist” because his friends were raped.
Girls, Affairs and More
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Marla Sokoloff (1999-2004)
Ahna O’Reilly (2006-2011)
Agyness Deyn (2011)
Ashley Hartman (2004-2005)
|Current Relationship Status||Single|
Some Lesser Known Facts About James Franco
- Does James Franco Smoke? Yes
- Does James Franco Smoke? Yes
- He won a Golden Globe for the lead role in the film James Dean.
- James was nominated for the Academy Awards Best Actor award for his role in 127 Hours.
- He volunteers for the charity called Art of Elysium and has delivered the free lecture on production and filmmaking for the New York University.
- He has taught a short film course at the University of Southern California, a course screenwriting at University of California, Los Angeles and at Palo Alto High School.
- Franco was called “Math Whizz” and scored good on SATs and interned at Lockheed Martin.
- Franco has been arrested for drinking, graffiti and because he was part of the group who stole expensive perfumes from departmental stores and sell it to their classmates; which led him to be the ward of the state. In his defence, he said “It was teen angst. I was uncomfortable in my own skin. I was shy. I changed my ways just in time to get good grades”!
- Franco always wanted to be an actor but was afraid of being rejected. He enrolled in UCLA as an English major but dropped out on his parent’s request to pursue acting.
- He took acting lessons with Robert Carnegie at the Playhouse West because he did not want to weight for two more years for his acting program audition at UCLA.
- He took a late-night job at McDonald’s because he parents refused to support him anymore. He would use different accents with the customers and once mentioned in a Washington Post editorial that “McDonald was there when no one was”.
- He began auditioning after fifteen months of training and landed himself a role in a Pizza Hut commercial which had a dancing Elvis Presley.
- The show “Freaks and Geeks” in which James got his first lead role was cancelled after 18 months because of low viewership. Although the show became a cult hit later on.
- To be convincing (or impressive), James Franco lost his own identity to be James Dean for the time he was working on the movie. He smoked two packs of cigarette a day when he was a non-smoker. Learned to ride a bike, play the guitar and cut off from his family, friends and even his girlfriend. He went on to spend time with Dean’s associates and watch his movies to get under his character. “It was a very lonely existence “ he notes. He received a Golden Globe for his performance and Emmy Award and Star Guild Award nominations.
- He lived on the streets to understand his drug-addict homeless character for the movie City by the Sea(2002). Robert De Niro watched a snippet of James Dean and suggested to cast James Franco.
- He learned boxing for eight months for Annapolis, horseback riding and sword fighting for Tristan and Islode. He also got a Private Pilot License for his role in the movie Flyboys.
- He starred and co-wrote Pineapple Express with Seth Rogan, which was produced by Judd Apatow. Apatow said of Franco that “You tell him, ‘Okay, you’re going to play a pot dealer’, and he comes back with a three-dimensional character you totally believe exists. He takes it very seriously, even when it’s comedy”.
- He was very well appreciated by critics for his movie 127 hours and it was almost a secluded cast and James would consider the director and rest of the team his co-stars. Till date this movie is very well received. Strangely James didn’t learn or experiment with anything but read academic books to kill time! He won an Independent Film Award and got nominated for a Golden Globe and Emmy Award for the movie.
- Franco was Gucci’s face for their men’s fragrance line in 2008.
- Franco has also published a series of books named Palo Alto which is about the teenagers living in Palo Alto and are indulged in acts of drunk driving, smoking weed and getting involved in unplanned acts of violence.
- James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosted the 2011 Academy Awards. His energy and enthusiasm were literally low. He was asked if he was high on Marijuana while hosting and he replied saying “I think the Tasmanian Devil would look stoned standing next to Anne Hathaway. He has humbly and honestly accepted that he ruined the show.
- James Franco has a star named after him on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.