Widely recognized by her in-ring name Asuka, Kanako Urai is a professional wrestler from Japan. Currently a WWE Diva, she made her wrestling debut in 2004 under the name Kana and despite retiring in 2006, she returned to work as a freelancer for various promotions. Recognizing her talent as a performer, the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) signed her 2015 and she began performing at company’s developmental branch NXT. Asuka remained undefeated during her time at NXT which included an NXT Women’s Champion reign of 510 days. In September 2017, she became part of the Raw main roster and continued her impressive victory run, even winning the first ever Women’s Royal Rumble Match. Asuka suffered her first loss in WWE at WrestleMania 34 where she was submitted by Charlotte Flair, soon after which she got drafted to SmackDown as part of the 2018 WWE Superstar Shake-up.
Asuka Measurements Height Weight Bra Size Age
|Real Name||Kanako Urai|
|Nickname||The Empress of Tomorrow|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Billed Height||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6″
|Billed Weight||in Kilograms- 54 kg
in Pounds- 119 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||36-32-36|
|Hair Colour||Black (usually sports dyed red/orange colour while wrestling)|
|WWE Debut||NXT (in-ring): October 7, 2015
RAW (Main Roster): September 18, 2017
|Slam/Finishing moves||Asuka Lock
|Titles Won/Achievements||1-time NXT Women’s Champion, with a reign lasting 523 days, the longest undefeated streak in WWE history|
|Date of Birth||26 September 1981|
|Age (as in 2018)||37 Years|
|Birth Place||Osaka, Japan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|College||Osaka University of Arts Junior College|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Family||Father– Name Not Known
Mother– Name Not Known
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Hobbies||Playing video games, listening to rock music|
|Favourite Wrestlers||Minoru Suzuki, Antonio Inoki, The Great Muta, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Triple H|
|Boys, Family & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Asuka
- WWE ring names usually do not have any literal meaning and are often coined to suit the personality/gimmick portrayed by a wrestler. However, in this case, the Japanese name Asuka has a meaning associated with it. While ‘Asu’ stands for ‘to fly’, ‘Ka’ refers to the English word ‘bird’. Hence, Asuka more-or-less means to be on a “higher plane.” Notably, Asuka, a 100-year period that began from the 6th century in ancient Japan, is often credited for the major developments in Japan’s culture and architecture.
- Interestingly, before stepping foot inside the world of pro-wrestling, she was a freelance graphic designer
- Most of the WWE fans may not know that Kanako Urai made her in-ring debut in 2004, under the moniker Kana, on an all-female not-so-popular Japanese wrestling promotion named AtoZ.
- Just 18 months after making her debut, Kana announced her retirement from the squared ring citing chronic nephritis. The disease, in case you aren’t aware, is an inflammation of the kidneys caused by various infections and toxins.
- She, however, could not stay away from the profession and came out of retirement within a year’s span.
- Before stepping foot inside the world of pro-wrestling, Asuka used to work as a freelance graphic designer. Interestingly, she was one of the team members who designed the graphics for the Nintendo DS, a popular handheld gaming console.
- She also runs a hair salon named ‘Another Heaven’ in the Japanese city of Yokohama.
- Asuka even has 4 Gravure DVDs to her name. Notably, Gravure is a mix of softcore glamour photography and video. In fact, former WWE superstar Tajiri also features in one of the videos, though in a wrestling-oriented role.
- Aside from being a wrestler, graphic designer, businesswoman, and model, Asuka is an occasional video game journalist. She reportedly writes articles for the XBOX 360 magazine. In an interview, she revealed that at one point, she owned over 3000 gaming-related objects (consoles, CDs, DVDs, etc.).